The Architects of Bradford


Andrews and Delaunay


William Andrews (1804-1870) was born at Holme, near Howden. In 1832 he moved from Hull to Bradford, where he subsequently became a partner of Frederick William Delaunay at 5 Leeds Road, later moving to 2 Aldermanbury. Among their eaelier commissions were the stations along the Bradford - Colne Railway (eg Keighley). In the early 1860s Delaunay was succeeded by Joseph Pepper, and the firm was then known as Andrews & Pepper. William's son, Thomas Garlick Andrews (1838-1881) later became a partner

1845 Daisy Bank, Girlington - house for Alfred Illingworth
1848 Bankfield, Bingley - house for William Murgatroyd
1851 Rose Mount, Manningham - house for John Douglas
1853 Milligan & Forbes warehouse (Telegraph & Argus), Hall Ings  - Photo
1858 Bradford Banking Company (Bradford & Bingley), Kirkgate
1860 40 Chapel Street, Little Germany
1862 Wacorn House, 8 Burnett Street, Little Germany


Andrews and Pepper

1864 Theatre Royal (Royal Alexandra Theatre), Manningham Lane
1868 Bradford Commercial Bank (National Westminster), Hustlergate
1868 Oakwell, Manningham - house for ?
1871 Mechanics Institute
1871 38 Chapel Street, Little Germany
1871 Bradford Fever Hospital (Penny Oaks), Leeds Road
1871 Midland Mills {demolished}
1872 Bradford Grammar School, Manor Row {demolished/fire}
1873 Manningham Mills
1873 Church House, North Parade
1873 St Augustine's Wesleyan Chapel
1876 St James Church, Bolton Road
1877 Poor Law Offices (The Register Office), Manor Row
1877 Alexandra Hotel
1878 Talbot Hotel, Kirkgate


Rhodes Calvert (18??-1926)


Was in practice at 9 New Kirkgate in 1877 and from c1891 at 4 Forster Square

1878 Temperance Commercial Hotel, Manchester Road
1883 Skyline Chambers, Manor Row
1892 Warehouse, Commercial Street - demolished


Charles Henry Hargreaves


Was in practice at 53, Old Market Street in 1870. He entered into partnership with Wilson Bailey at 1, Bank Street before 1877, and also had an office in Ilkley where he lived. He is best remembered for the additions, including the Winter Gardens, which he made to Cliffe Castle, Keighley

1890 Ilkley Grammar School
1895 Belle Vue Grammar School
1897 Hanson Grammar School


Thomas Healey II


Was the elder son of Thomas Healey I and was probably trained in the Mallinson and Healey practice. After the elder Healey died the younger Healey, together with his brother Francis Healey (1835-1910) continued to specialise in ecclesiastical work.

1868 Alterations to St Peters (Cathedral)
1870 St James Church, Thornton
1870 Bowling Church school
1873 Whetley Lane Board school
1874 St John the Evangelist, Great Horton Road
1877 St Augustine, Undercliffe
1881 St Luke's, Manningham
1881 Bradford Synagogue, Bowland Street
1909 St Peter's, Shipley


Thomas Campbell Hope (1834-1916)


Practised in Bradford from c1861. David Jardine, who had probably been articled to Hope joined him in partnership in c1875 at 12, Exchange Buildings and then at 2, Cheapside. This arrangement had ceased by 1887. George Roberts became a partner c1912. Hope was largely responsible for the layout of Manningham as a residential suburb, and he made the design for several villas and terraces. He was president of the BSAS in 1889 and 1910

1868 Ilkley College
1871 Thorpe Buildings, Tyrell Street - store for George Thorpe & Co
1873 Lindum Terrace, Manningham
1874 St Paul's Terrace, Manningham
1882 Technical College, Great Horton Road
1884 Albert Buildings, Tyrell Street
1886 Grange Grammar school
1904 Rawson Market


Samuel Jackson (1830-1910)


Was in practice in Leeds Road in 1856 and in Kirkgate five years later. He was awarded third prize in the competition to design Bradford Town Hall in 1869. He was president of the BSAS in 1881 and again in 1902

1860 Grove House, Bolton - house for Atkinson Jowett
1865 Shipley Baptist Church
1865 Blenheim Terrace, Manningham
1865 Cottingley Town Hall
1868 Moravian Church, Baildon
1873 Ryan Street Board school


George Knowles (18??-1895)


Was in practice at 9, Leeds Road in 1853. He took William Wilcox into partnership in the late 1860s

1864 Oakwood, Lady Lane, Bingley - house for Thomas Garnett
1868 Institute for the Blind, North Parade
1871 Brown Muff and Co, Market Street
1873 Dudley Hill Board school
1877 Parkinsons Buildings, Hustlergate
1878 Refuge Chambers, Sunbridge Road


James Ledingham (1840-1926)


The son of James Leddingham of Aberdeen was articled to A & W Reaid of Elgin and Inverness. He worked in Bradford for Andrews and Pepper and set up practice in his own account in the 1870's at 53 Market Street. He was president of the BSAS in 1896

 
1876 Greenfield Congregational Church, Manningham
1887 Royal Hotel, Darley Street
1888 Salem Church, Manningham
1889 Houses on the Rosse Estate, Heaton
1890 Children's Hospital
1893 London & Midland Bank, Market Street - demolished
1895 Yorkshire Penny Bank, North Parade
1898 St Catherine's Home, Manningham


Lockwood & Mawson


Henry Francis Lockwood (1811-1878) came from a building background in Doncaster. He was articled in London to Peter Frederick Robinson, and was then given charge of the supervision of the extensions to York Castle, for which Robinson had been appointed architect in 1826. This stimulated Lockwood's serious interest in antiquities, and in in 1834 he published jointly with Adolphus H Cates, The History and Antiquities of the Fortifications to the City of York. In 1834 he set up a practice in Hull, where he designed a number of Neo-classical buildings, such as Trinity House (1839), extensions to the Royal Infirmary (1840) and Great Thornton Street Church (1843)

Lockwood became a partner of William Mawson in 1849 and they opened an office in Bradford, where they became one of the leading firms. They submitted designs in many competitions, including the limited contest for the Law Courts in the Stran, London (1866-67). Lockwood moved to London in 1874 where he was responsible for the City Temple (1873) and the Civil Service Stores, Strand (1876). He was first President of the BSAS when it was founded in 1874.

William Mawson (1828-1889) was born in Leeds, the son of William Mawson, a paper manufacturer. He baecame a resident in Bradford when he and Henry Francis Lockwood were successfull in obtaining the commission to design St George's Hall (1851), the foundation of the success of their practice. With the death of Lockwood in 1878 the firm was renamed W & R Mawson with Richard Mawson (1834-1904) the second partner. William Mawson is buried in Undercliffe Cemetery

1852 St Georges Hall
1852 St Lukes Hospital
1853 Saltaire Mill
1855 47 Well Street, Little Germany
1859 Saltaire Congregational Church
1859 4 Currer Street, Little Germany
1861 Lumb Lane Mills - James Drummond
1862 Horton Lane Congregational Church
1865 Eye and Ear Hospital
1865 Cragg Royd, Apperley Bridge - house for Nathaniel Briggs
1866 York House, 25 Manor Row [c]
1867 Wool Exchange
1867 Great Northern (Victoria Hotel)
1867 Longwood, Bingley - house for William Marshall Selwyn
1868 New Mill, Saltaire
1868 Saltaire School
1871 Saltaire Institute
1871 De Vere House, 62 Vicar Lane, Little Germany
1871 St Thomas's School, Wigan Street
1873 Town Hall
1873 Legrams Mill, Legrams Lane - George Hodgson
1873 Sion Baptist Church, Harris Street
1873 Feversham Street Board School
1874 Law Russell, 63 Vicar Lane, Little Germany
1874 Canopy of the statue of Sir Titus Salt
1877 Union Club, 3 Piece Hall Yard
1877 "University Management Centre", Emm Lane
1878 Kirkgate Market
1878 Old Bradford Liberal Club


James Mallinson


There are no known details of his career before 1847 when he was in partnership with Thomas Healey I at 64 Tyrell Street, Bradford and 15 Mount Street, halifax. They built up a large ecclesiastical practice which was continued by Healey's sons, Thomas II and Francis. After Healey's death Mallinson was in practice with William Swiden Barber at 6 George Street, Halifax

1846 St Mary's Church, Wyke
1848 St Paul's Church, Manningham
1848 St John's Church, Baildon
1848 Parsonage, Wyke
1848 Parsonage, Low Moor
1849 St Andrew's Church, Horton
1849 St Matthew's Church, Bankfoot
1850 St John Baptist Church, Clayton
1853 St Andrew's Church, Listerhills
1857 St Mark's Church, Low Moor
1860 St Philip's Church, Girlington
1860 St Stephen's Church, Bowling
1861 St Mary's Church, Laisterdyke
1864 All Saints Church, Little Horton
1862 St Luke's Church


Milnes & France


Eli Milnes (1830-1899) was the son of Henry Milnes of Toller Hall, Bradford. He was articled to William Rawstorne and then became a partner of Jonathon Dixon. In 1853 their office was in Swaine Street. In 1863 Charles France and Milnes went into partnership, and the firm, Milnes & France became one of the largest in the town. Their offices were in Cheapside. Arthur Alderson France and Charles E Milnes were taken into partnership in 1888

Charles France (1833-1902) was in partnership with Eli Milnes in Bradford from 1863 - earlier buildings are normally attributed to Eli Milnes

1859 53/55 Leeds Road, Little Germany
1860 72 Vicar Lane, Little Germany
1861 8 Currer Street, Little Germany
1861 Oakroyd Dyeworks, City Road
1862 Victor House, 10 Currer Street, Little Germany
1863 30 Well Street, Little Germany {demolished}
1863 Albert Memorial Fountain, Queensbury
1864 Thornfield, Manningham - house for J R Armitage
1864 Royal Infirmary - extensions
1864 43/45 Well Street, Little Germany
1865 Ladye Royde Hall, Manningham - house for Henry Illingworth
1865 Whetley Mills, Thornton Road - Jeremiah Illingworth
1865 Thornton Baths and wash houses
1866 Alston Works, Thornton Road - Isaac Holden
1866 Bank Top Mills, Beacon Road
1866 Woodlands, Toller Lane - house for Isaac Holden {demolished}
1867 Albion House, 64 Vicar Lane, Little Germany
1867 BDA/Pennine House, 39 Well Street, Little Germany
1867 Priestley's Warehouse, 66 Vicar Lane, Little Germany
1867 Components House, 1 Burnett Street, Little Germany
1868 Tradesmen's Homes, Heaton Road
1869 62 Leeds Road, Little Germany
1870 Restaurant - Market Street/Lower Cheapside {demolished}
1873 62 Leeds Road, Little Germany - George Street extension
1873 S.L.Behrens Warehouse, 26 East Parade, Little Germany
1873 Caspian House, 61 East Parade, Little Germany
1873 Bradford District Bank (National Westminster), Market Street
1873 Dudley Hill Board School
1873 Barkerend Board School
1873 Royal Infirmary - extensions
1874 St Phillip's School, Girlington
1874 Independent College, Emm Lane
1877 Semons Warehouse (Abbey National), 25 Bolton Road
1877 34 Bavaria Place, Manningham
1878 Swan Arcade, Market Street {demolished}
1880 Oak Mills, Clayton
1885 Bradford Old (Becketts) Bank, Cheapside
1886 Princeville Combing Works
1898 Royal Victoria Nurses' Home
1902 Sir Joseph Behrens Warehouse/Merchants House, 37 Chapel Street, Little Germany


Edward Simpson (1844-1937)


The son of a Hull builder who after being articled to a local firm moved to London. He then moved to Bradford where he remained in practice until 1914 when he handed over to his son Charles Simpson. The firm finally closed in 1939. Simpson had a large almost exclusively Roman Catholic practice. His designs were often bizarre, sometimes grotesque, but usually deeply felt individual interpretations of the Gothic style

1868 St Joseph's RC School Chapel
1873 Horton Bank Top Board School
1874 St Mary's Church
1877 Sacred Heart School Chapel, Bingley
1879 Sacred Heart of Jesus, Ilkley
1887 St Joseph's Church
1890 St Ann's Church